If you are one of our 400 Community Hive chat room members, you may already be familiar with some of the exciting programs this group has to offer. If not, it’s important to know that the Community Hive is so much more than just a chat room.
The Community Hive is the socially responsible arm of the Apiaries and Bees for Communities business that does not garner a profit. It was created to connect those interested in learning new self-sufficiency skills to information about honeybees and beekeeping in the City of Calgary and to coordinate a collaborative purchase of bees and equipment. It has grown exponentially since then and A.B.C now operates the bulk of its community and urban beekeeping support and public awareness initiatives under this umbrella, including:
– Collaborative Purchase of honeybees, with a regulating body to ensure that beekeepers are knowledgeable and can responsibly manage the honeybees
– Swarm Catcher Group to remove swarms from public and private locations free of charge
– Online Forum that allows participants to discuss beekeeping issues and form connections with like-minded beekeepers in their area
– Field Days, pay what you can beekeeping workshops which allow community members to connect and support one another and for the public to learn about urban beekeeping
– Attendanceat Community Events to teach the public about urban beekeeping, share educational opportunities, help them to connect with other beekeepers and show people how to engage with nature and recognize the potential of their own back yards to improve biodiversity
– we are also hosting a year-end Yellow Tie Affair fundraiser in collaboration with our Bees4Communities partners in support of Women in Need.
These Community Hive programs are our pride and joy and truly represent the ‘Hive Mentality’. We have an incredibly dedicated team of volunteers at the heart of this group, however the time and costs associated with some of the larger events limits our reach. A.B.C has been funding these events for 4 years, and although we will continue to do so we are now looking for support.
We have set up a fundraising drive for the months of May and June. If you enjoy what we do and you appreciate the need for businesses to incorporate social and environmental investment into their activities, please help us spread the word about our campaign! More details can be found HERE!