The 2019 Internship WILL NOT be happening this year.
ABC Bees received NRC-IRAP funding to expand out queen breeding programming. This is going to take much of the summer, and unfortunately, is causing us to cancel the Internship this year. We are planning on running the program in 2020!
See below for the 2018 Program and its applications-expectations-opportunities FOR REFERENCE!
Want To Gain Hands-On Experience Beekeeping and Managing Apiaries?
Why not apply to be an intern?
We are excited to announce ABC Bees 2018 internship positions!
Dates: The Internships for the 2018 session begin April 17th (Tuesdays) to October 16th running every other week, making it 13 Field Day commitments throughout the year (September 4th off because of the long weekend). The Field Days hours are 10-4 each Tuesday.
Time commitment: One afternoon EVERY OTHER week (Tuesdays, 10:00-4:00 pm)
Location: Meeting at ABC Headquarters outside Crossfield Alberta (30km north of Calgary on HWY2)
Requirements and Activities:
- Interns will come to ABC Bees headquarters or various Calgary/urban bee yards once a week to help with and learn from whatever project ABC Bees has on the go. Examples of projects include: assembling and painting beekeeping equipment, hive inspections, integrated pest management, queen rearing management and preparations, photography, honey harvesting, honey bottling, and record taking.… Some projects will be explained and supervised by us at ABC while others will require independent research and hands-on experimentation by the interns.
- The internship is unpaid – but read about the perks and benefits below.
Perks and Benefits:
- work closely with Eliese Watson on projects and benefit from mentorship, knowledge exchange and hands-on implementation;
- gain intimate knowledge of honey bee keeping on a larger urban scale with 40 hives to work with in our commercial relationships, educational hives, as well as private honey producing hives.
- graft and raise queens
- build out nucs and do integrated pest management
Applicants MUST have taken the Level One Beekeeping Course with ABC Bees to be considered for the internship position. Additional beekeeping experience is NOT required.