UPDATE: The AREA was shut down by various departments of the City of Calgary for it’s unconventional use of the land. In 2016 the property was closed to the public and used as artist space for creating sculpture and large pieces. In 2017, the property sold to a developer and has become a growing part of the gentrification of the cultural district of Calgary.
The AREA, 1119 10 Ave SE Calgary, AB T2G 0S8 is designed to be a community of Arts, Recreation, Education, Environment, and Agriculture. The AREA is a multi-faceted area where community and engagement meet. All ages are welcomed and encouraged to participate in the AREA and do as little or as much as they would like. The design of the AREA will be through a charrette process with numerous stakeholders to bring out the best opportunity to be an on-site training and testing site.
- To promote a learning environment
- To promote the appreciation for urban culture, agriculture and sustainability
- To promote concerts and other musical activities
- To raise funds in a way to achieve the objectives of the Society
- To use funds of the Society only in accordance to and in pursuit of these objects