After answering many emails about how to prepare your honeybee colonies for winter, I have put together a listing of easy resources for the beginner beekeeper to look for. Here are the topics covered in the following blog entries:
– Drone Culling
– Entrance Protection
– Brood Nest Size
– Hygienic Behaviour
Part 2: Common Ailments to Honeybees
– Varroa Mites
– Chalk Brood
– Foul Brood
Part 3: Identifying Foul Brood
Part 4: Winterizing Your Beehive
– How wrapped is wrapped?
– Most common causes of winter kill?
– Ideas and strategies to decrease moisture build up.
– Bill Staggs Method
– Sam Comfort Method
– Insulated Super
– TBH Winterization
– What is feeding?
– Considerations to take before feeding
– When is it good idea to feed?
– What are the risks of feeding?
Part 6: Pollen and Winter Bees
– What is a ‘winter bee’ vs a ‘summer bee’?